THE CITY ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE OCEAN



A hermit from the monastery of Sceta approached Abbot Theodore:

"I know exactly what the purpose of life is, he said. I know what God asks of man, and I know the best way to serve Him. And yet I am unable to do all that I should be doing to serve the Lord.

Abbot Theodore was silent a long time. Finally, he said:

"You know there's a city on the other side of the ocean. But we still haven’t found the ship to go there, we did not put the luggage on board, and we did not cross the sea yet. Why talk about how the city should look like, or how we should walk through its streets?


"Knowing the purpose of life, or knowing the best way to serve the Lord, is not enough. Put into practice what you are thinking, and the way will show itself."


Comments

Popular Posts